Kowloon, Hong Kong » City Info » Visa Requirements

Visa is necessary in case of work, study or establishment of a business in Hong Kong. You must apply at least six weeks prior to departure at your nearest Chinese consulate or embassy.

Application procedures and rules are different for cases of Visit or Transit, Employment as Professionals, Training Investment, (to establish/join in business) Study Residence as Dependants, Employment of Domestic Helpers from Abroad, Employment as Imported Workers, Capital Investment Entrant Scheme, Quality Migrant Admission Scheme, Working Holiday Scheme, Extension of Stay, Re-entry into Hong Kong, Hong Kong Special Administrative Region Travel Pass, APEC Business Travel Card and Entry Arrangements for Mainland, Macao, Taiwan & Overseas Chinese Residents.

Rules and conditions are always interchangeable according to countries.


Hong Kong dollar (HK$) is the currency unit of the city. The fixed exchange rate is 7,74 HK$/1US$. Banks, hotels or moneychangers can easily exchange foreign currencies and traveler’s cheques. You should best compare while changing the currency as each money exchanger has different exchange rate. It is best to cash your traveler’s cheques in the institutes from where they are issued because they give much better rates. E.g. American Express cheques at Queens Road Central 5. All major credit cards like Visa, American Express, and MasterCard are accepted in hotels and big shops.

Please note: The information contained in this website is for general information purposes only. Any reliance you place on such information is therefore strictly at your own risk. Please contact your nearest embassy for accurate, up-to-date information.